The Bike Racer
Cycling, Politics, Coffee and More!
Latest Blog Posts
- Snowshoe Village Report on December 18, 2023. Right before the first big storm of the year!by bikeraceradminThis is our ‘Village Report’ because we couldn’t go skiing – the weather was crazy at Snowshoe village in West Virginia. As you can see, the wind was howling (not unusual for Snowshoe) and raining. The good news is that the wind and rain left overnight and allowed us a good day of skiing on Tuesday, December 19th.
- Snowy Adventures at Snowshoe: Celebrating a Special Birthday on the Slopes | Ski Vlog 2023/24by Mike ByrdCelebrating another birthday, Kim and I returned to Snowshoe Ski Resort in West Virginia. Our journey began with the memory of our first ski trip three years ago, marking my 50th birthday. This year, we faced mixed weather conditions, from disappointing rain to exhilarating snowfall. Despite the weather’s caprice, we relished a memorable birthday dinner at 10 Prime. The promise of fresh snow reinvigorated our spirits, leading us to enjoy the less crowded slopes of Silvercreek. The trip was a mix of challenging weather and joyful skiing, perfectly embodying the unpredictable yet rewarding nature of winter sports.
- Snowy Weekend at Snowshoe: Discovering the Perfect Ski Conditions | Ski Vlog 2023by Mike ByrdEmbark on our snowy adventure at Snowshoe Ski Resort. This vlog captures our second visit of the season, filled with the thrill of skiing and serene winter landscapes. We start by picking up Kim’s new skis at Snowcreek Mountain Sports, warming up with night skiing. Despite mixed forecasts, we find joy in the simple things – from ice cream treats to fresh, fluffy snow at Silvercreek. Experience with us the excitement of discovering perfect ski conditions and the anticipation of more snowy escapades. It’s a glimpse into the joys of winter sports and the beauty of Snowshoe’s slopes.
- Gravel Bike Ride: Old Falls River Road in Rocky Mountain National Parkby Mike ByrdKim surprised me with a trip to Fricso, Colorado over Labor Day weekend 2023. We took the gravel bikes with us on this trip and were looking for a good gravel rides. I wanted to visit Estes Park (also knowns at the Rocky Mountain National Park) and we found a gravel ride review for Old Falls River Road. The reviews said it was a challenging but beautiful ride. We watched a Youtube video review and decided, why not, let’s do it. We drove down to Estes Park and as usual, ended up with a later start than planned. That seems to be our MO these days.
- The Coffee Roasting Journey: From Bean to Brewby Mike ByrdCoffee isn’t merely a beverage but an immersive experience. Just as artists pick their colors, roasters carefully craft the flavor of each bean. This piece delves into the art and science of turning raw coffee beans into delightful brews.
- Discover Hot Springs: A Coffee Lover’s Paradiseby Mike ByrdArkansas, the “Natural State”, boasts a vibrant tapestry of history and landscapes, from the sprawling Mississippi Delta to the rolling Ozark Mountains. Among its gems is Hot Springs, celebrated for its healing waters, vibrant racing culture, and historic buildings. But there’s another secret brewing in Hot Springs: its burgeoning coffee culture. Dive into our curated list of top coffee shops that promise a unique blend of flavors, ambiance, and Hot Springs charm.
- Mastering the Art of Coffee Brewing: A Comprehensive Overviewby Mike ByrdEach brewing technique offers a unique coffee experience. Whether it’s the simplicity of the drip, the depth of a French press, or the potent essence of espresso, there’s a brew for everyone. So, embark on a coffee journey—experiment with different methods and unearth the perfect cup tailored for you. Why not start today?
- Sipping Responsibly: Embracing the Era of Sustainable Coffeeby Mike ByrdCoffee, among the globe’s most cherished beverages, carries an environmental footprint that’s becoming harder to ignore. But what if we could sip this brew with a conscience? Enter sustainable coffee – an eco-friendly approach to our daily caffeine ritual. This guide explores the realm of sustainable coffee, how it’s nurtured, and where to find it.
- Mastering the Art of Home Coffee Brewingby Mike ByrdFor many, coffee isn’t just a drink—it’s a morning rite of passage. While brewing coffee at home offers the perks of comfort and familiarity, it also beckons the artistry of perfecting every cup. Let’s deep dive into the world of home brewing, exploring both popular and lesser-known methods to elevate your coffee experience.
- From Farm To Cup: Understanding the Journey of Coffee Beansby Mike ByrdEver gazed into your coffee cup and pondered its origins? The odyssey of a coffee bean, from its birth on a farm to its transformation into your beloved brew, is a fascinating tapestry of steps. This piece takes you on an insightful journey of coffee beans, shedding light on the meticulous stages that craft your daily caffeine fix.
- Scriptural Sips: Top Bible Verse Mugs for Coffee Aficionadosby Mike ByrdMany begin their mornings with the invigorating warmth of coffee. But imagine coupling that with a touch of divine inspiration? Bible verse mugs seamlessly blend spiritual wisdom with your daily caffeine dose, creating mornings imbued with hope and positivity. Let’s delve into 10 beautifully crafted Bible verse mugs that promise to uplift your spirit.
- Exploring the World’s Finest Coffee Beansby Mike ByrdCoffee stands as one of the universally cherished drinks, with countless individuals considering it an indispensable part of their daily routine. The cornerstone of an excellent coffee lies in the quality of its beans—selected with precision, cultivated under the perfect conditions, harvested at its prime, and roasted to perfection. Let’s embark on a journey to understand the roots, processing, and distinctive qualities of coffee beans.
- Global Cafés: Delving into the Heart of Coffee Cultureby Mike ByrdCoffeehouses are more than mere establishments serving coffee; they’re cultural landmarks, echoing the unique pulse of their resident nations. In this piece, we’ll decipher the essence of an exceptional coffeehouse, study the global variations, and spotlight the world’s top ten coffee havens.
- Phoenix’s Top Coffee Stops: A Taste of Desert Brewsby Mike ByrdNestled amidst the arid beauty of Arizona, Phoenix dazzles with its rich past, picturesque landscapes, and a spirited cultural vibe. Among its kaleidoscopic tapestry, coffee aficionados will uncover a treasure trove of coffee havens. Dive into these top 7 coffee sanctuaries in Phoenix, AZ, guaranteed to elevate your city journey with a caffeine jolt.
- Tri Bike Vs Road Bikeby Mike ByrdThere is always a lot of discussion amongst ‘us racers’ as to whether or not there is a significant advantage of riding a Time Trial/Triathlon bike in a time trial. Most of us are aware of all the marketing around aero frames, wheels, helmets, position, etc. You know what I’m talking about, this wheel will save you 40 seconds, an aero helmet will save you a minute…
Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the Internet. My name is Mike Byrd and this is my website. I enjoy sports, being outside, new challenges, marketing and anything that comes my way. I am the author of the blog posts on thebikeracer.com. I enjoy writing about cycling, politics, coffee and anything else that fits in the “My World” category. Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter to stay up to date on anything new that gets posted to thebikeracer.com.
Subscribe for Updates!
Subscribe to be the be notified of new articles posted on TheBikeRacer.com